27 October 2008

The Pretty Side of Hong Kong

We began house hunting today with a guided tour around Hong Kong Island.  After a couple of days of paddling around on public transport, it felt truly luxurious to have a private car and driver, along with Jennifer, our relocation consultant.

Jennifer guided us through the central and southern parts of the island, which are private, green, and resort-like.  (These areas, therefore, are completely outside of our budget.)  Still, there are plenty of places we've bookmarked to visit, including beaches, markets, a yacht club, and hiking trails.  Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of these areas because we were sightseeing from the car and didn't have time to get out to look around.

I did get one photo from The Peak, which is the top of a mountain in the middle of the island.  It has great views, but it's still too smoggy to see across the harbor to Kowloon:

I discovered, however, that at night the smog doesn't matter, because the skyline really comes alive with neon lights.  This was taken from Kowloon, looking across the harbor to Hong Kong Island:

Looks much prettier, I think!