30 October 2008

I'm In Sales. So Am I. Me Too.

Hong Kong is known as one of the world's banking and financial centers, but that part is not really obvious while walking about the streets.  What is obvious is that almost everyone is trying to sell you something.  Virtually every inch of available space is occupied by a shop of some kind, and their signs and advertisements take up all the aerial space above the streets.  Take a look at this photo, which was taken on a street in Kowloon, just outside our hotel.  This scene is fairly typical, and goes on for blocks and blocks:

If you look closely, you can see that even the window frames appear to be advertising something.

In addition to this barrage of signage, salespeople are calling out to passerby, particularly if their store or restaurant is located downstairs or other not-so-obvious location.  Other people are pushing flyers.

The more aggressive variety of salesperson is the tout:  men who sidle up next to you as you walk along Nathan Road (and other touristy places) and say, as if revealing a secret, "Copy watch?" "Copy handbag?"  "Tailor?  You need good tailor?"  I think I'm perfecting my glazed, nothing-could-interest-me-less look, as they don't hassle me so much any more.