16 July 2009

Learning Mandarin With "Sexy Beijing"

I've stumbled across this charming Internet-TV series called "Sexy Beijing." It stars Anna Sophie Loewenberg, a young American woman living in Beijing who looks a bit like Sarah Jessica Parker from "Sex In The City" -- hence the inspiration for the show. In most of the episodes, she runs around Beijing, ambushing and interviewing ordinary people on the street on things like Chinese culture and holidays. She also focuses heavily on love and marriage because she is single and looking for a relationship, preferably with a Chinese man.

Although her focus is on Beijing, I found that a lot of the material could also apply to Hong Kong. For example, here's "Lost In Translation," about the amusing things that happen when Chinese people choose English names, or vice-versa:



All her episodes are very entertaining, but I think they're also going to help me as I study Mandarin. I think the subtitled conversations will help me pick up on vocabulary. And also, it's just inspiring to see how an American has learned to speak Mandarin so fluently. It gives me hope.