06 March 2010

Caution: Lion Crossing

Happy Belated New Year!

I spent three weeks in the U.K. before Chinese New Year, returning to Hong Kong on New Year's Day proper (which was also Valentine's Day). Unlike last year, when I tried to participate in every single New Year's activity available, this year I completely forgot to plan for it. I was on the plane when I suddenly remembered that I had failed to get crispy banknotes for lai see envelopes. Indeed, I'd forgotten to get any lai see envelopes at all. So when I entered my building and the
doormen cried out, "Kung Hei Fat Choi!", all I had to give them was an embarrassed smile as I slunk into the elevator. So far I haven't noticed any adverse effects of my forgetfulness; the building staff continues to be very good to us.

Although I wasn't here for most of the New Year's celebrations, I was happy that I didn't miss one thing: the lion dances. All week, everywhere I went, I heard the clanging cymbals and drums that signaled a lion dancing nearby. I might be a bit jaded about Hong Kong now that all the newness has worn off, but the lion dance always makes me smile. In the photo above, a lion danced its way down my street as part of a parade.