Over the past few months, a large chunk of our harbor view has gradually been bricked in by a new office building that's going up across the street. This time-lapse video shows how the construction was progressing at an astonishing speed -- it was taken over the course of just two weeks.
Losing the View (Timelapse) from SevenDog on Vimeo.
Our view is also obscured on many days by this crazy, pea-soup fog that rolls in off the harbor. The new building has become much taller in this photo, which was taken just last week.
If we were up much higher, I wouldn't have been able to get a shot of the street at all!Now we are wondering if the remaining sliver of view will eventually be blocked too. I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Everyone wants a flat or an office facing the harbor, so I think that someone is eventually going to get that land and put up another high-rise. Sadly, I doubt our rent will be reduced to compensate for what we've lost.
UPDATE: Pollution could be yet another reason why we can't see much outside our window. According to this article in the New York Times, pollution levels are at a record high, creating a visible haze in the air that looks a lot like fog.