I felt compelled to write about local music after I heard Air Supply songs piped in at three separate places -- two stores and a restaurant, all in the course of a single day. Simply put, if you've got a large collection Air Supply, or other syrupy ballads from the '80s and '90s, you are qualified to create the soundtrack to Hong Kong's retail environment. The fact that it's the Christmas season only makes things worse; I can't count the number of times I've heard George Michael singing "Last Christmas".I suppose I ought to insert here that my tastes in music are ecclectic, embracing African, jazz, classical, alternative, Latin, New Wave, punk, and the absurd, among others. Andy's taste is such that anything described as "cutting edge" is too old already. Note that nowhere in this list is the sort of stuff we last heard during the slow dances at the high school prom.
I don't know much about cantopop, the Cantonese-language music that is so popular here and throughout Asia. It's probably because I haven't heard much of it. I've heard it in taxis, and a restaurant that clearly caters to young people. And when you browse the hi-def TV displays in the electronics shops, a taped performance is usually on all the screens. But that's all. And what I have heard doesn't give me much hope, as to me it sounds like the Cantonese version of Air Supply.
Live music isn't much better. As far as interntaional acts go, since I arrived, Hong Kong has hosted Billy Joel, and Sting, twice. The second time Sting came around, tickets were HK$988 - $2888 (US$127 - $373)! Kylie Minogue was here too, but that probably would have been fun, actually.
All is not lost, however. Last week, we saw Kraftwerk in their first-ever show here. Despite the inflated ticket price for general, "free standing" admission (no seats), and hopeless security guards who let in throngs of drunken expats carrying whole bottles of wine, we were happy to see these four guys and their laptops:
To be fair, we have not explored every live venue available. My guidebook lists several that sound promising. And there appears to be plenty of other live performing arts to make up for it: theater, opera (both Western and Chinese), classical orchestras, and ballet. But just once, the next time I go shopping I'd like to hear something other than Air Supply. Please.