19 September 2009

Night Owls in Quarry Bay Park

The public park in our neighborhood, Quarry Bay Park, is a long and fairly narrow path of land that stretches along the edge of Victoria Harbour. It also sits in the shadow of the Taikoo Shing housing estate, so the playgrounds are walled in by the apartment towers. The effect is more striking at night, like this:


Near the park entrance, a small group was practicing tai chi.

I really like how Hong Kong caters to night owls. The shops don't open until 10; the outdoor markets won't open until much later. In some places, the shops stay open (and busy!) until midnight. I took these photos around 10 p.m., and the park was still pretty busy. All the tennis courts and basketball courts were being used, and joggers, cyclists, and couples out for a stroll filled the paths. I definitely feel right at home with this part of life in the city.