Typhoon Koppu passed by Hong Kong without much incident. The paper reported the usual assortment of downed trees and other falling objects that caused a few injuries. But this one also brought a pretty heavy rainstorm in its wake. The next morning, the weather service issued two more more warnings: one for rain, and another for landslips. Here on Hong Kong Island, neither one was much of an issue, but there was flooding up in the New Territories that caused some construction sites to cave in.
I remained calm throughout until I happened to notice something very peculiar: the pendant lights in the dining area were moving around. Not just jiggling a little -- they were actually swinging around slowly, like a pendulum. It took me a second to realize that this meant that the building was bending and twisting in the wind. Now, logically I know that tall buildings are supposed to move like this, like bridges, so they won't break up in the wind, but it was still a fairly disturbing thing to watch.