25 November 2008

Look Back In Hunger

I am having a great time exploring the food here in HK, but lately I've been craving certain things that I could find easily in the States. Like sweets and desserts, for example. Hong Kong has plenty of sweets and pastry shops, but "sweet" here is definitely a whole lot less sweet than I'm used to. And I haven't found anything resembling the chess pie from Gus's Fried Chicken in Memphis (pictured above).

Another thing I fantasize about: BREAD. You can find bread here, but it's usually soft, airy, and tasteless, with the crusts cut off. I think it's too humid here to create a good, crusty loaf. I long for the satisfying crunch and crackle of a good baguette, slathered with salted butter... or the tang of a chewy slice of sourdough. I have heard that it's possible to get these kinds of breads in delis that cater to expats, or in a fancy restaurant, but it's certainly not widely available in my neighborhood.

I'm also still looking for the perfect Vietnamese restaurant that serves good pho, like the ones Andy and I enjoyed many, many times at Pho Hoa Binh in Memphis. I am more confident of finding good pho than I am about finding good bread.