Even with our limited hotel TV offerings, we get dedicated English (BBC), French, German, American, and Australian channels. One channel always seems to have a soccer match on, and other channels show Spanish, Korean, and Japanese programs. Friends who subscribe to cable say that they get Al-Jazeera as part of their package. Even though I'm fluent in only one language, I haven't been this interested in TV in years!
11 November 2008
We Are The World, Via Television
As I was typing up my last blog post, I was listening to a local English-language news program on TV. The first reporter was an Asian man with a Chinese accent; the second, an Asian woman with a pure American accent; and the third was a Caucasian man with a British accent. Coming from a country where broadcast media has little deviation from a standard Midwestern accent, I was surprised and enchanted.