01 November 2008

Mysteries of Chinese Food, Part 1

We had lunch today with our friend John, a Chinese native of Hong Kong.  I ordered a mug of hot tea that was on special.  In it, I recognized pear slices and some nuts, but what do you suppose this was that was floating near the top?

A. thought it was tripe, but I'm sure the menu said it was something sea-related.  Whatever it was, the entire brew tasted rather earthy.  John said it was a traditional health tea, good for soothing the throat.  I didn't think much about its health properties until later tonight, when A. said he was feeling under the weather, but I seem to be in fine shape.

UPDATE 3 NOV:  After returning to the restaurant and studying the menu again, plus some Google research, I've tentatively identified the mysterious ingredient as snow fungus or silver tree-ear fungus.  Some sources say it's good for the lungs and throat, others say it's good for the skin.  All agree that it's a very healthy thing to eat.