I never thought I'd say this, but I was really excited to do laundry here at the new flat. After months of using a coin laundry in the U.S., followed by another month of washing things by hand in the hotel sink, I was thrilled at the idea of doing laundry in my own home.So last night I carefully read the user manual to my new machine. It's a combo washer/dryer unit that fits under the kitchen counter and is discreetly hidden behind a door that matches the other cabinetry. I was taken aback at how complicated it all was: three different receptacles for detergent and fabric softener, lots of dials for spin speed, temperature, load size and rinse options. Worst of all, it has very strict weight limits. Five kilos, that's the limit to wash. To dry, the limit is half that amount!
The first load goes in. I set all the dials, push the start button. Nothing. Both Andy and myself go through the manual again, then we look under the sink to check the taps and water heater. We have no idea what's wrong. Today, our building manager had to come to our rescue, to show us how to do our own laundry.
Finally, the first load is done -- wash only, and hung up to dry. But I did notice it took an awfully long time to do. So I decided to time the second load, which was set for wash + dry. It went in at 10:30 p.m. and I took it out of the drying cycle at 1 a.m. And I still had to hang it up to dry! Sadly, this machine is hopeless as a dryer.
Now I understand why all the flats here have laundry hanging on the balcony or out the window. My balcony now looks like everyone else's.